Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 1: Assess the phenomenon of school violence.
- Competency 2: Explore offender-related communications relative to school violence pre-event, during the event, and post-event.
- Competency 3: Characterize contagion of violence.
- Competency 4: Explain the use of threat assessment in pre- through post-secondary education.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in writing.
In the media Responding to the Threat of a Targeted Attack, there were many signs that a targeted school violence incident was imminent. Moving forward in time to post-event in the media, you will see that a tragedy was avoided.
Using examples you see in the Responding to the Threat of a Targeted Attack media, supported by your assigned readings and Internet research, address the following:
- Evaluate the overall response of the Riverbend City School System, Riverbend City Police Department, and the Riverbend City Threat Assessment Team to the potential incident of targeted school violence portrayed in the simulation.
- Identify the role contagion of violence played in the simulation.
- Analyze how contagion of violence could spread and be mitigated in future acts of targeted school violence.
- Diagram the steps educational administrators or personnel should take from receipt of a credible pre-warning communication through activation of a Crisis Response Team and Professional Threat Assessment Team.
- Identify the tactical advantages and disadvantages the Riverbend City responders had to consider, prioritize, manage, and implement relative to their response decision relating to overall public safety.
- Explain the importance for students, educators, parents, and law enforcement to be able to recognize possible pre-offense offender communications relative to response, mitigation, and prevention of acts of targeted school violence.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- References: A minimum of three references. (If you create a hypothetical case, references will not be necessary.)
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.