Assignment – Coolhunting
Researchers visit the sites where they believe cool resides, follow it, and bring it back to be used in product development and marketing communications. This type of field work is known as “coolhunting.” By extension, the spread of market ideas can be tracked via social media data.
(According to some scholars, the key to coolhunting is to look for cool people first and cool things later. Since cool things are always changing, cool people on the other hand are a constant).
The assignment consists in the following:
- Select and visit the social media outlet of your choice.
- Select material posted to social media and create a journal of observations and reflections. You can report these observations in a bulleted or numbered list.
- Identify the categories or trends (e.g. mobile devices) emerged from the data.
- Prepare a brief report, incorporating the journal of observations, answer to the following questions and a summary of the most important insights found.
- To what groups your cool finding(s) would apply? Describe its characteristics, behaviors and/or language.
- Provide a summary of your cool findings or trends, including a link, sentence, word or image that illustrate each finding.
- The minimum number of pages is 2 and the maximum number is 3, not including references.
- Please use Times New Roman font, 12 pt.
- Be precise, concise and to the point.