A performance appraisal is a regular review of employee job performance and contribution to organizational objectives. In many cases, performance appraisals are conducted at the end of the year to evaluate employee performance, as well as set performance for the next year. For this assignment, you will evaluate another function of HR and management and its contribution to effective performance management. Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the article Adapting the Performance Appraisal Process to Meet the Needs of the Modern Workplace.
In your paper,
- Discuss how performance appraisals are a function of HR and management.
- Analyze the basic components of an effective performance appraisal.
- Explain how performance appraisals can contribute to organizational goals and objectives.
- Explain the advantages of performance appraisals and how they contribute to effective training and development.
- Explain potential forms of discrimination based on labor laws and regulations when conducting a performance appraisal.
For additional support with completing this assignment, please refer to the following tools:
- Finding HR Journals in the AU Library. This tip sheet will support you in researching through the Ashford University Library.
- What Is CRAAP: A Guide to Evaluating Web Sources. This will assist you in determining the reliability of an HR website.
- Scholarly and Popular Resources(1).This tutorial explains the differences between scholarly and popular resources.
- Human Resource Research With FindIt@AU. This tip sheet will support you in researching through the Ashford University Library.
The Performance Appraisal paper
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions, refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed, or credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.