Read Case : Bitcoin as an Ethical Dilemma
- The following articles may also be helpful:
After reading and reflecting upon the discussion questions below, please write-up your case assignment according to the instructions in the syllabus. For your convenience, this format is provided below. Remember, your answers to the below discussion questions make up “Section 2” of your case write-up, and each answer should be provided in a separate paragraph. Refer to the syllabus for specific grading criteria.
Format for Cases
Cases should be submitted in Microsoft Word format and should be double-spaced using a common font such as Times New Roman 12 point font, 3 pages required (written part).
At the top, left corner of the first page 1 of the case, please include the following information, in this format:
Case write-ups should follow the following format:
Section 1: Introduction – a brief summary of the case and what you will address in the write-up.
Section 2*: Answers to questions (at the end of the case). Each answer should be discussed in its own paragraph(s).
Section 3: Conclusion – A synopsis of the case and any concluding remarks.
*The questions to answer for this case (for Section 2) are as follows:
- Question 1: Do you think bitcoins are approaching being unethical monetary instruments without technically carrying a value similar to “real” coins?
- Question 2: If bitcoins are used to buy drugs, firearms, or other products that are considered illegal in the country in which bitcoins are being used, does that make bitcoins unethical?
- Question 3: Do you think the bitcoin system is “evil” as Paul Krugman suggested? Is it similar to a Ponzi scheme?
- Question 4: Do you think bitcoins were created as a weapon intended to damage central banking and money-issuing banks?