Read the Case Study at the end of Chapter 3, Akamai Technologies: When Demand Exceeds Capacity, and answer the following in a detailed manner (the paper should be no less than one page).
- Why does Akamai need to geographically disperse its servers to deliver its customers’ Web content?
- If you wanted to deliver software content over the Internet, would you sign up for Akamai’s service? Why or why not?
- What advantages does an advertiser derive from using Akamai’s service? What kinds of products might benefit from this kind of service?
- Why don’t major business firms distribute their videos using P2P networks like Bittorrent?
- Do you think Internet users should be charged based on the amount of bandwidth they consume, or a tiered plan in which users would pay in rough proportion to their usage?