1. You recently read an article that highlights the benefits of a 4-day work week. You intend to persuade your company’s CEO that this is a viable option for the company. Which of the following appeals would you focus on in order to convince your CEO that a 4-day work week is beneficial? Choose one of the following and provide an explanation for your choice.
- Ethos – character or disposition (credibility)
- Logos – logical (reasoning and evidence)
- Pathos – emotional
2. Over the weekend, you attended a co-worker’s birthday party. During the birthday celebration, your co-worker delivered the speech below. Which aspect of the speech most appealed to you? Provide an explanation for your choice.
- Option A: Introduction and conclusion
- Option B: Use of direct quotes
I would like to first start by thanking my family, friends, and colleagues who have honored me with your presence today. Over the years, I have learned that there is not a specific formula for a long and prosperous life. However, I will share a few of the principles I live by and have found valuable.
“Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” Winston S. Churchill
“To be gritty is to keep putting one foot in front of the other. To be gritty is to hold fast to an interesting and purposeful goal. To be gritty is to invest, day after week after year, in challenging practice. To be gritty is to fall down seven times, and rise eight.” Angela Lee Duckworth
“Always be nice to the people you meet on your way up in life as you may meet them again on the way down.” Jimmy Durante
“When you come to a fork in the road, take it!” Yogi Berra
I hope these words of wisdom help you create lives filled with peace, love, and joy. Thank you all for coming to celebrate my special day, and I look forward to our next celebration!
3. In 2013, your friend graduated from Better Business University, and the university’s president recently asked her to deliver this year’s commemorative speech. During her meeting with the university’s president, she learned the following information about the graduates:
- 40% of the students have received job offers
- 35% of the students intend to continue their education
- 25% of the students are uncertain about their plans after graduation
Based upon this information, which visual aid do you think she should use to prepare her speech? Select one of the visual aids and provide an explanation for your decision.
Image 1: 10 Most Popular Jobs
Image 2: Business Facts