Prepare: To prepare for this discussion post, do the following:
- Review your notes on Chapter 5: Developing Confidence: Coping with Insecurities about Interpersonal Communication.
- Read Chapter 6: Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace.
- Read the writing prompt below in its entirety. Notice that there are three tasks to complete:
- Based on what you’ve learned from Bevan and Sole, identify one or two forms of communication apprehension you have experienced on the job.
- Explain at least two strategies discussed in Bevan and Sole to overcome the communication apprehension.
- Discuss the role of communication in a professional setting.
Review the grading rubric.
Take time to reflect on a specific experience you had in the workplace
where you faced the challenge of communication apprehension. Think
about how to overcome this challenge. What changes can you make to
improve how you communicate at work? Consider communication as both the
problem and solution.
Write: Based on course materials and your own reflections, address the following:
- Describe a time you found yourself in a situation where you faced a specific form of communication apprehension in the workplace. Be sure to explain the apprehension itself and how you experienced it. If your work experience is limited, consider a time when you were working with others in a different context, such as school or a club.
- Based on advice from Bevan and Sole (2014), explain some specific strategies you can use to overcome the communication apprehension(s) you listed and make yourself a more competent communicator.
- Read and formally cite Bevan and Sole to discuss the role of communication in being a professional.
Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.
Your initial response should be 200 to 300 words in length and is due by Thursday.