Criminal Law and Law Enforcement c9
.Part 1 on own paper
In your main post, with respect to prohibiting the introduction of certain types of conduct, statements, and offers made by the defendant to the crime victim, discuss the following: https://campus.capella.edu/web/community-of-excellence?deepLink=true
· Examine whether evidence rules prohibiting the introduction of certain types of conduct, statements, and offers made by the defendant to the crime victim exist in your state with respect to victims.
· Determine why such evidence should be excluded if it is relevant to whether the defendant committed the offense.
· Explore the public policy reasons that exist for excluding such evidence.
· Evaluate the effect such rules have on your duties as a criminal justice professional.
Part 2 on own paper
locate a case addressing the issue of victim impact statements, as was addressed in Payne v. Tennessee and respond to the following:
· Summarize the facts and court holding in your selected victim impact evidence case.
· Examine if such evidence is not included in the statutory aggravating factors in your jurisdiction.
· Analyze the constitutional implications victim impact evidence may have in the context of a capital murder offense.
· Explain whether you, as a criminal justice professional, feel that the Eighth Amendment should bar the admissibility of victim impact evidence during the penalty phase of a capital murder trial.