Culture, Diversity, and Multiculturalism
The very nature of global business requires leaders to develop cultural intelligence and understand the importance of multiculturalism and diversity in a global business environment.
For this assessment, you will define the concepts of cultural intelligence, multiculturalism, and diversity, and analyze how they contribute to effective global leadership. Search the Capella library and the Internet for recent, relevant articles on the topics of cultural intelligence, multiculturalism and diversity in global organizations. You will need at least 3 resources to support your work in this assignment.
Organize this assessment logically, using headings and sub-headings appropriately. Include a title page and reference page, and follow APA guidelines for all citations and references.
Within your assessment, complete the following:
- Explain the meaning of the terms cultural intelligence, multiculturalism, and diversity from a global leadership perspective.
- Analyze the importance of these concepts or competencies in effective global leadership.
- Compare the ways different countries and cultures conduct business. (Please keep this limited to 3–4 countries or cultures, including the United States.)
- Describe the demographics of today’s workforce.
- Provide examples (at least two) of situations in which misunderstandings related to culture could occur.
- Describe strategies for improving cultural intelligence and expanding comprehension of multiculturalism and diversity.
- Include a title page and reference page.
- Number of pages: 3–4 not including title page and reference page.
- Number of resources: At least 3.
- APA format for citations and references.
- Times New Roman font, 12 point.
Library Resources These articles discuss issues of cultural intelligence, multiculturalism, and diversity in a global business environment and may be useful in completing this assessment.
- Bishop, W. H. (2013). The elements of leadership in a global environment. Global Business & Organizational Excellence, 32(5), 78–85.
- DeLancey, R. M. (2013). Employees’ perceptions of multiculturalism and diversity in multinational corporations. African Journal of Business Management, 7(36), 3559–3574.
- Murmu, N. (2014). Cultural diversity in global workforce: Issues and challenges. Review of HRM, 3, 67–72.
- Rockstuhl, T., Seiler, S., Ang, S., Van Dyne, L., & Annen, H. (2011). Beyond general intelligence (IQ) and emotional intelligence (EQ); The role of cultural intelligence (CQ) on cross-border leadership effectiveness in a globalized world. Journal of Social Issues, 67(4), 825–840.
- Bantu-Gomez, M. (2014). The role of culture, language, and ethics in global business. European Scientific Journal, May Special Edition, 231–242.
- Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chapter 16, “Culture and Leadership,” pages 427–462.