Write a 260- to 350-word individual response to the following:
- Consider the multiple definitions of collaboration.
- Define collaboration and how you will apply it in this course based upon the discussion with your Learning Team. Be sure to reference and cite your sources.
Once each year, a corporation communicates to its stockholders and other interested parties by issuing a complete set of audited financial statements. The annual report, as this communication is called, summarizes the financial results of the company’s operations for the year and its plans for the future. Many annual reports are attractive, multicolored, glossy public relations pieces, containing pictures of corporate officers and directors as well as photos and descriptions of new products and new buildings. Yet the basic function of every annual report is to report financial information, almost all of which is a product of the corporation’s accounting system.
The content and organization of corporate annual reports have become fairly standardized. Excluding the public relations part of the report (pictures, products, etc.), the following are the traditional financial portions of the annual report:
- Financial Highlights
- Letter to the Stockholders
- Management’s Discussion and Analysis
- Financial Statements
- Notes to the Financial Statements
- Management’s Responsibility for Financial Reporting
- Management’s Report on Internal Control over Financial Reporting
- Report of Independent Registered Public Accounting Firm
- Selected Financial Data
The official SEC filing of the annual report is called a Form 10‐K, which often omits the public relations pieces found in most standard annual reports. On the following pages, we present Apple Inc.‘s financial statements taken from the company’s 2014 Form 10‐K. To access Apple’s Form 10‐K, including notes to the financial statements, follow these steps:
- Go to http://investor.apple.com.
- Select the Financial Information tab.
- Select the 10‐K annual report dated September 29, 2014.
- The Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements begin on page 50.