Your probation officer supervisor, Sarah Harris, explains to you that a majority of her caseload involves adults with substance abuse and domestic violence issues. You will need to prepare a report for her defining domestic violence. The following should be included in your report:
- Define domestic violence.
- Identify and explain the characteristics of the abuser and the victim.
- Explain the cycle of abuse in domestic violence situations.
- tension building
- making up/calm
- Describe 1 treatment theory from any one of the helping professions that is used in a domestic violence situation.
- Address how substance abuse may or may not impact a domestic violence relationship and the cycle of abuse.
Write a paper focusing on the following:
- Discuss 3 changes that were made from DSM-IV to DSM-5.
- Describe the role of DSM-5 in making a diagnosis. Why is it used?
- When conducting a clinical interview, what are some important questions you need to ask a client? Why?
- Discuss how you would make a diagnosis using DSM-5 if you were a counselor. How do you ensure that you do not misdiagnose your client?