Week 2 Discussion Forum
Deliverable Length: 3-Part Discussion Forum: See assignment details
- Recognize the nature of service.
- Distinguish the roles and positions in the dining room.
To receive full credit for this Discussion Forum assignment and to facilitate an academic discussion, the following 3 parts need to be completed:
- Primary Task Response – must be posted in the forum 5 days prior to the Part 3 due date.
- Peer Response – must be posted 2 days prior to Part 3 due date.
- Summary Response – must be posted by due date listed in assignment list.
Part 1: Primary Task
Within the Discussion Forum area, write in no less than 150 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
While a close relationship exists between service and hospitality, there is a distinct difference between the two. Service is the act of filling the needs, wants, and desires of the guests. Service is what servers provide to meet the expectations of the guests when they come to dine.
Hospitality goes beyond the service guests expect of servers. Hospitality means creating a pleasant dining experience for your guests with small gestures like giving a friendly greeting, smiling—even when very tired, remembering names, hanging up coats, pulling out chairs, remembering a returning guest’s favorite drink, knowing exactly what is ordered, and anticipating what the guest needs next.
The restaurant industry is a environment of diversity. Both the employees and guests come from various backgrounds. Your challenge as a manager is to recognize, appreciate, value, and respect the differences you encounter in each person, whether you are interacting with coworkers or guests
Choose one of the following methods to assist for your paper submission
- Discuss your concept of quality service.
- Explain how you would train your team members to deliver quality service.
- Describe the control measures you would use to monitor the service quality.