Diversity Issues in Career Counseling
You have explored five diverse cases in the Riverbend City: Career Counseling scenarios media piece designed to enhance your cultural competence and ability to work with a variety of life situations. As previously discussed, we must understand our own assumptions, values, and biases, as well as the worldviews of others and then develop appropriate strategies and interventions. The goal of this assignment is to demonstrate your understanding of cultural competence, your limitations as they relate to career counseling, and your plan to develop the needed skills.
For this assignment, choose one of the five scenarios that may be applied to your counseling specialization. Using the Diversity Issues in Career Counseling Template (linked in Resources), address the following elements in your assignment:
**Crystal is an 18-year-old Korean American female, who recently graduated high school and has had vocational training in graphic design. She has dyslexia.** (THIS IS THE CASE DETAILS)
Discuss an issue or challenge for a chosen client or student in developing their career plan.
- Describe specific characteristics pertaining to culture and diversity that are associated with the fictitious person from your chosen scenario and explore considerations that may factor into the presenting career or job-related concern.
Analyze how societal norms such as gender, age, culture, socioeconomic status or other characteristics may have influenced your client’s career development. Select at least three characteristics or diversity issues.
- Explain how these factors, combined with the presenting career counseling issue, impact the person’s mental well-being, life roles, and relationships with others.
Analyze the interrelationships among work, mental well-being, social interactions, and other life roles and factors.
- Explain how these factors interrelate in defining or clarifying career goals.
Assess how biases and assumptions can impact the career counseling process both from your perspective as the counselor and from the perspective of the client or student. Propose strategies to decrease biases and assumptions.
Self-assess biases and assumptions and describe how to minimize them when working with diverse populations.
- Assess your own biases and describe how you will work to decrease these biases when working with diverse populations.
- Describe strategies you can use to decrease your biases and assumptions.
Review the Diversity Issues in Career Counseling Scoring Guide to understand the grading criteria for this assignment.
- Communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the counseling professions. Write effectively through the consistent use of grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and APA format. Use scholarly resources that support your analysis through clear, concise, well-organized, and grammatically correct writing that incorporates appropriate APA style conventions with few errors.
- APA Requirements: Follow current edition APA style and format.
- References: Include at least three references from scholarly sources, one of which should be your selected article.
- Length: 4–5 pages in addition to the title and reference pages.