Blog #2 Reader Response
Final Due: Sunday, 2/17
For the second graded post on your blog, you will need to write a Reader Response of Elizabeth Kolbert’s chapter, “Dropping Acid,” from her book The Sixth Extinction (.pdf provided on Blackboard). As scholars we know that the “role of the reader is essential to the meaning of a text, for only in the reading experience does the literary work come alive” (Lumen par. 2).
Your post should be between 650 – 750 words. Even though you are responding to the entire piece, it is best to focus on a few significant moments rather than to just speak generally about the text. As you write your response and address the various points listed below, please remember to include specific examples/quotes from the article. The key to this genre, Reader Response, is “examining, explaining, and defending your personal reaction to a text.”
Speak your mind, present the evidence from the text, and have some fun with this post!
- Provide a brief summary of the chapter for your readers
- Identify a few key moments that were most significant to you in your reading
- Discuss these key moments in terms of whether you agree/disagree with the author’s perspective. Explain your reaction quoting evidence from the text.
- Evaluate the reading based on its significance to you and your field
- Close with your overall reaction to the chapter