Imagine you are a CPA working as a tax professional. A foreign client engages you to determine how best for them to invest in a U.S. startup company that plans to sell automobile parts. The client’s objective is to avoid or minimize any U.S. taxes that the foreign investor may incur. Assume that the client is forming this corporation with several other U.S. citizens.
Using the Internet or Strayer databases, research the rules related to foreign persons investing in U.S. companies and any tax implications for the foreign investor.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Based on your research, determine at least three (3) types of investments in the U.S. company that will most likely trigger a taxable event for your client and those that are least likely. Provide support for the rationale.
- Based on your research, evaluate at least three (3) types of U.S.-sourced income that your client is most likely to be impacted by U.S. taxes. Provide support for the evaluation.
- Recommend the most advantageous type of investment strategy that your client should take when investing in this U.S. company and make recommendations for avoiding or eliminating taxes on the client’s U.S.-sourced income from the investment. Support the recommendations with examples.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze how foreign persons are taxed on income generated in the U.S.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in international tax planning and research.
- Write clearly and concisely about international tax planning and research using proper writing mechanics.