You have been introduced to the major theories in the discipline of sociology. These theories include the structural functional, conflict, symbolic interaction, feminist and queer theory. Each theory has a specific premise, set of key terms and theorist associated with the development of the theory. These theories are the foundation for research and writing from a “sociological perspective.” The course will continue to apply specific theoretical paradigms to various social issues. This assignment will require you to begin the process of examining a social condition using one of the theories presented in your chapter readings.
Select one of the following theories in Sociology: Structural Functionalism, Conflict or Symbolic Interaction, Feminist Theory or Queer Theory and address the following items:
- What is the history of this theory?
- Select one early theorist associated with this theory and provide a brief biography of this social scientist.
- What is the underlying premise of the theory?
- What points do you find most interesting about this theory?
- Are there any elements of the theory that you find outdated for understanding society and social interaction today?
- Use this theory to frame and explain a current social condition, problem or event in the news such as the increasing income gap, health insurance, the economy etc.
1. This assignment must be typed double-spaced in a standard 10-12 size font. The assignment should be 2-3 pages long.
This does not include your reference page.
2. Grammar is important and will be evaluated in this assignment.
3. Use 2-3 scholarly sources (not Wikipedia). Your textbook can be one of your sources.
4. Cite sources in the APA format.
5. Submit through safe assign for review.