It is anticipated that by 2012, Social Security will spend more than it receives and that its trust fund will be depleted by 2029.
Please respond to all of the following prompts:
- Is it reasonable for anyone to rely exclusively on Social Security as retirement income?
- Was that the original intent of Social Security?
- What reasonable alternatives to Social Security are available?
- Do you expect to receive any significant income from Social Security when you retire? Why or why not?
- What measures should be taken in order to protect the system from collapse?
- Can the U.S. afford to protect Social Security?
- Can the U.S. afford NOT to protect Social Security?