As you will recall, the concept of Ren, or humanness, is the most important principle in Confucian ethics. This is the idea of treating others with compassion. Ren frames all other virtues (both moral and non-moral).
For this assignment, demonstrate your understanding of Ren and other key concepts of Confucian ethics by choosing from any of the following options:
- Write a Poem
- Write lyrics and/or record a Song (may be an original tune or a parody)
- Write a script and/or record a TV or Radio Commercial
- Create a PowerPoint Presentation
- Create a Movie Poster
- Create a Travel Brochure
- Create a Pamphlet
What you submit to the drop box below will vary depending on which form of expression you choose above. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that what you submit can be easily viewed by an average person using a computer equipped with Internet access and Microsoft Office. Some examples might include:
- Poem: would likely take the form of a Microsoft Word document.
- Song: lyrics would likely be done in a Word document.
- Song: audio recording would ideally be in an MP3 format (to ensure that the file is small enough to submit).
- TV/Radio Commercial: script would likely be done in a Word document.
- TV Commercial: video would likely be uploaded to YouTube (or similar) and hyperlink provided in the dropbox.
- Radio Commercial: audio recording would ideally be in an MP3 format (to ensure that the file is small enough to submit).
- Good and Evil pgs. 159-175 (odd numbered pages only) in the book Listening to Ourselves: A Multilingual Anthology of African Philosophy
- Chapter 7 – Moral Knowledge in African Folk Life pgs. 101-116 in the book Beginning African Philosophy: The Case for African Philosophy Past to Present
- Article: The Moral and Non-Moral Virtues of Confucian Ethics.
The body of your paper should be 2-3 pages in length and in APA format