Assignment 2: Labor Relations and the Law
The mention of unions tends to make business managers and human resource (HR) professionals cringe, although that need not be the case. Employees have the right to unionize to protect themselves and establish good work conditions that satisfy their needs.
In many cases, unions make it easier to manage employees as all employees are governed under a single contract, making employment decisions straightforward. However, the power of a union can be abused, making the employment relationship more challenging. Furthermore, working with unions requires knowledge of additional laws, which can be overwhelming in practice.
In this assignment, you will analyze employment laws related to unionization in the workplace.
Your instructor will assign you one of the following acts:
- The Norris-LaGuardia Act of 1932
- The National Labor Relations Act or the Wagner Act
- The Labor-Management Relations Act or the Taft-Hartley Act
- The Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act
Research the act using a variety of resources and, on the basis of your findings, answer the following questions:
- What rights does the act give an employer or employees?
- How does the act impact (support or impede) the existence of unions at workplaces?
- What are the implications of violating this law on workplace relations? Support with suitable examples.
- What strategies or policies can employers use to comply with this law?
Write a 3–5-page paper in APA format, summarizing and analyzing your findings.
Use scholarly references to support your points. Cite all references in the APA format.
- Save your paper in a Microsoft Word document. Name it as M4_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc and by Wednesday, February 8, 2017, submit it to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria |
|Explained the rights the selected act gives an employer or employees.|
|Described how the act impacts the existence of unions at workplaces.|
|Explained the implications of violating this law on workplace relations through examples.|
|Described the strategies or policies employers can use to comply with this law.|
|Gave all citations in the APA format.|
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.|