The objective of the project is to build skills in analysis in the context of macroeconomics.
To complete a case study successfully a student will need to write a 5-8 page long paper (double-spaced) and create a PowerPoint presentation (about 20-25 slides) connected to the paper. Although the format of the paper is flexible, your case study should have all the attributes of good writing, including proper sections, paragraphs, etc. Plagiarism will result in severe penalty, which may result in a failing grade for the project.
For your project (both PowerPoint slides and the paper):
– Pick a country (except USA) and explain the reasons for your choice. – Suggested format: one slide in your powerpoint presentation and one paragraph in your paper.
– Provide basic, most current information about this country –no more than 3-5 powerpoint slides and three -five paragraphs in the paper.
* Social: Ethnic groups, crime rates, literacy levels,…
* Political: Nature, stability and ideology of government,…
* Physical: Natural resource endowments, pollution and environmental issues, infrastructure, technology development and use in society.
– Evaluate the overall nation’s economic situation using tools studied in the course- 10-15 powerpoint slides and two-four pages of your paper.
In your evaluation please analyze:
* Labor Market and Income Distribution (employment situation, unemployment rate, minimum wage if any, poverty level, number of people living under the poverty line, etc.)
* GDP (level, history and growth)
* Price level and Inflation (numbers and trends)
* Federal Budget (surplus or deficit: amount, history, predictions)
* Money and Banking System (currency, exchange rate with major world currencies, etc.)
* International Trade ( major imports and exports, trade flow amounts and trends, trade restrictions)
– Identify at least one major economic problem the country has experienced in the past or is facing now. Provide possible solutions if the problem is current or explain outcomes of the problem if it occurred in the past – 2-4 powerpoint slides and 3-4 paragraphs in the paper. Please make a separate section in your project for this part and explain clearly what problem/economic challenges you discovered and how it was resolved.
– Discover one economic relationship this country has with the U.S. (trade ties, investment relations, multinational agreements, etc.) – 1-3 powerpoint slides and 1-3 paragraphs in the paper.
– Bibliography. Include all the references to the information used in the project (minimum four references). Books and articles used must have names of authors, title, publisher, year, name of journal, volume and page numbers, as the case may be. Websites used should be cited with full URL and date accessed. Any verbatim use of material (a phrase/sentence or more) should be within quotation marks in the text and the name of the author and page number given at the end of the sentence in parenthesis. You cannot use websites such as Wikipedia or Answers.com as these sites can be edited by anyone and may provide reader with the false information. All data in your project should indicate source. – one slide and one written paragraph.
Don’t be afraid to use color and pictures in your PowerPoint presentation. And the more creative you are- the better! Remember, that your PowerPoint slides and the paper have to be connected. Each slide is to be explained in a paper as you were to present it.