In the SLPs for this course, you will apply organizational change theories and diagnostic assessment tools to a real organization with which you are familiar. This builds your skills at applying knowledge from one context to another.
Please pick a company or organization that you have access to and substantial familiarity with – preferably the one at which you currently work or have worked in the near past. You will be using the same organization change process with each SLP that you used for the Case Assignment.
You will be analyzing this change process and developing your thoughts about it based on the background material. The larger, more systemic the change, the better. However, substantive change within a unit, function, or division can also work. Substantive change may include things like:
- A new CEO or other senior manager
- Changes in technical systems, e.g., implementation of an ERP system, new learning management systems, etc.
- Restructuring (changing the org chart)
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Changes in size, e.g., rapid growth or downsizing
- Changes in market focus
- Changes in strategy or mission
- Changes in major processes or procedures (e.g., Implementation of ISO9000 or other quality control processes)
- Business process re-engineering or business process improvement
Refer to the required and optional readings for this module, and any other readings which will help you in implementing organizational change.
Write a 3- to 4-page paper in which you analyze an organization of your choice using the McKinsey 7S Framework.
Keys to the Assignment
The key aspects of this assignment that should be covered in your paper include:
- Analyze the subject company / organization using the McKinsey 7S model framework.
- Thoroughly examine each of the seven key areas of the model.
- Identify in which box each piece of data relates, and justify why.
- How well does the model work in this situation?
- What did you learn from applying the model to your subject organization that you didn’t know before?