For the Case Assignment, you will analyze the NYC Medicaid offices transformation using the Nadler-Tushman Congruence Model for organizational change. Through using this model, you will come to appreciate its ability to home in on all the key areas required to conduct organizational change, including how the key factors within an organization must be in “congruence.”
Isett, K. R., Glied, S. A., Sparer, M. S., & Brown, L. D. (2013). When Change Becomes Transformation. Public Management Review, 15(1), 1-17. doi:10.1080/14719037.2012.686230
Note: You will need to do additional research on the Medicaid offices in NYC to be able to complete this assignment.
Drawing on the material in the required and background reading, prepare a 5- to 6-page paper (not including cover and reference pages) in which you:
- Analyze the Medicaid Case Study using the Nadler-Tushman Congruence Model.
- What limitations does the model have, and how did they manifest in this particular situation? What should be done to ensure that when using it they do not impact your analysis / change project?
Keys to the Assignment
The key aspects of this assignment that should be covered in your paper include:
- Applying the Nadler-Tushman Congruence Model to analyze the case study
- Thoroughly examining the key areas of the model, including:
- Strategic choices and critical tasks and workflows/processes (refer to Figure 2-5 on p. 38 in the required background book and Figure 4 from the Organizational Dynamics required reading)
- People, Culture, and Formal Organization, and issues of congruence and fit among these organizational building blocks at Medicaid
- Identifying which box in the Nadler-Tushman Congruence model that each piece of data that you find in the case study relates to.
- Compare and contrast the NT Model to the McKinsey 7-S Model, and discuss its strengths and limitations. What were its strengths in its use in this Case Assignment? Its limitations?