* Research and find an artist or group that is combining an international music with jazz to create a new Jazz sound. Limit your research to music from the 21stCentury (since the year 2000.) Pick a culture or country whose music you would be interested in learning about and see if you can find an artist or group who is combining that music with Jazz music to create a new Jazz sound. BE SURE YOU FIND AN ARTIST OR GROUP THAT IS COMBINING AN INTERNATIONAL MUSIC AND JAZZ, TO CREATE A NEW JAZZ SOUND. There are a number of examples of non-jazz artists using international music in their folk music, rock music, hip hop etc.., so be sure your choice of artist/group is a JAZZ artist. The artist can be an American that is using International music as an influence or it can be an artist who is from another country that is an accomplished Jazz artist who is exploring combining music from his/her culture with Jazz. Be SURE the artist is a Jazz artist and the music you write about is a combination of Jazz and an International music style.
Example: an online search for “Traditional Japanese music and Jazz” produced a large number of entries, and some were useful in suggesting some artists that are combining the 2 styles of music to create a new Jazz based music.
- Write a 1000-1500 word paper which describes the artist/group and their music. The paper should be well written, following general rules and formatting for a Research Paper (see suggested format below). Citations should be in MLA or APA format.
- Use your research to write a description of the artist/groups concepts and ideas for combining the international music with Jazz. It is important that find descriptions of the concepts and ideas from the artist and/or reputable experts reviewing the project. You need to do significant research to be able to write about the ways the artist or group is combining the international music elements with Jazz elements to create the new music.
- Include your own description of what you hear in the music. Describe the ways the music moves you.
- Include a description of the artist/groups, what they are known for and other relevant projects/recordings they have produced. Include a selected discography.
- Include information about the recordings you write about:
- Date released
- Record label
- Musicians on the recording
- How readers can find this music (purchase, listen, etc)
*Basic format:Opening Paragraph (Thesis) – describes the content of the paper and the points to be made.Inside Paragraphs – discuss each topic presented in the Opening Paragraph (Thesis)ConclusionDiscography – a selective listing of the Artist/Group’s important recordings that relate to the paper. Look up “discography” so you know what it is!Research References – citations need to be in MLA or APA format