You are the lead singer and manager of a new and quickly rising band, Everyone—from record companies, movie producers, video game producers, magazine editors, and the like—is approaching you. As described in Chapter 26 of the text, you do not want to make the same mistakes Brian Epstein, the manager of the Beatles, made when they made their first movie easily losing the band millions in lost revenue. You have been asked to now take your band to support the troops in a number of war zones. You do not want to engender negative press coverage and agree to a contract with the U.S.O. and Armed Forces Radio.
Write a six pages paper in which you:
- Discuss the steps that would have helped a negotiator / manager like Brian Epstein to prevent media and entertainment industries from taking advantage of his / her lack of experience with these industries.
- Indicate the basic skills that you believe you need to effectively negotiate with those individuals mentioned in the scenario. Justify your response.
- Compare and contrast at least two (2) different negotiation approaches that you would use when negotiating with the individuals mentioned in the scenario. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Outline a plan for your contract negotiation in which you specify at least two (2) different strategies that you can utilize, as needed, during the negotiation process.
- Stress the fundamental reasons why it is important for you, as a negotiator, to set the terms of the contract for your band, as opposed to allowing the opposing negotiation team to set those terms. Present two (2) reasons why you would not want to allow industry members to write the contract. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.