Project- The Journey of a Court Case
Learn what happens to cases as they travel within a court and between courts. After you complete this project, you will know how a court case goes through the system.
Case Study: Colorado Judicial Branch
Go to the Colorado Judicial Branch’s website at www.courts.state.co.us and click on the Supreme Court. Going into the case announcements, find a case from any of the years listed to analyze. You will not know what the cases are about until you click on them individually; choose one at random, or choose one that interests you.
- Write a paper of at least 500 words on what the case is about. Then make a flowchart for the journey of that specific court case. The flowchart can be in the form of a presentation, or you may use any other flowchart-making software you prefer.
- For instance, did it start in the trial courts? Can you tell if it was county or district court?
- Who won, and who appealed? Did it go to the Court of Appeals?
- Who won and who appealed there?
- What happened at the Supreme Court level?
- Where will the case go from here (i.e. is it closed, or will it go back to the trial court?)?
Note: Though not a requirement for credit for this assignment, you can creatively make a flowchart for the journey of that specific court case. You may create a flow chart using Google Draw.oi https://www.draw.io/# if you have a google or dropbox account. You may use the general shapes, lines, flowchart, or arrows functions to create your flow chart.