Imagine that you are on a promotion committee to recommend to the chief of police a candidate for a captain’s position. All are lieutenants and have received similar scores on the objective tests available for the position.
The candidates are:
- A 39-year-old woman who has been with the police department for 9 years. She has obtained a college degree and a master’s degree by going to school at night. She has spent relatively little time in her career on the street (moving quickly to juvenile, community service, and DARE positions).
- A 46-year-old white male who has also had experience in command positions in the army before joining the police force. He has 15 years of experience—all in patrol positions—and has a college degree.
- A 40-year-old Hispanic male with 10 years of experience. He has been very active with the community. Several community groups have endorsed him, and they demand that there be Hispanic representation on the command staff. He also has strong support among Hispanic officers, serving as their association president. He has a 2-year college degree.
- Compare the qualifications of the candidates for promotion in the scenario.
- Determine which of the candidates in the scenario should be promoted and why.
- Describe what information is needed to make an informed decision regarding promotional endorsement.
- Identify additional criteria you would impose if you were in charge of hiring decisions.
Create a 1 page essay in APA format according to the following information and instructions above. Use 2 sources for references. Be sure to include in-text citations.