Week 10 Discussion 1
“The “Underwear Bomber”” Please respond to the following:
- In the textbook, Birkland argues that the “underwear bomber” case tipped the balance in favor of using screening machines that showed a clearer image of a screened passenger’s body under his or her own clothes. Take a position on the following question and provide support for your position: Do you agree that public sentiment supports the use of such machines?
- Take a position on the following question and provide support for your position: Does the failed attempt to bomb Northwest Airlines flight 253 in 2009 (“underwear bomber”) reflect policy failure or policy success?
Week 10 Discussion 2
“Top-Down vs. Bottom-Up” Based on the lecture, address the following:
- Evaluate and then suggest the most important problem with top-down models of policy implementation by citing at least two problems associated with this model.
- Evaluate and then discuss whether bottom-up approaches address these problems.
- Analyze the bottom-up shortcomings.
- On balance, evaluate which model you think would best aid someone who is attempting to design a policy and support your reasons.