Week 3 Discussion 1
Birkland describes a “Systems Model of Politics and Policy” (p. 27). Summarize what Birkland means by “the environment” (i.e., the structural, social, political, and economic factors influencing policy making).
Week 3 Discussion 2
Using a specific minimum wage policy (e.g., Fair Labor Standard Act, Executive Order 13658, or other), discuss it as a systems model. What are the inputs and outputs? What happens inside the political “black box”? Can you suggest any improvements to the system model?
Week 3 Assignment 1
Assignment 1: Historical Perspective
Due Week 3 and worth 150 points
The purpose of this assignment is to introduce students to a particular policy issue that has been discussed on two (2) presidential administrations; when the policy began, its impact over various sectors, and his effectiveness over time.
Pick one (1) similar federal policy that was discussed over a span of two (2) different administrations. For example, President Clinton’s and Obama’s healthcare policies or President’s George H.W. Bush’s and George W. Bush’s foreign policy.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Discuss the historical perspective of the time when the policy was discussed or implemented. Indicate the context or the problem of the day and the urgency for the policy.
- Analyze the social, economic, and political environments for the times the policy was discussed or implemented.
- Critique the policy for its effectiveness of the time.
- Include at least four (4) peer-reviewed references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook. Note: Appropriate peer-reviewed references include scholarly articles and governmental Websites. Wikipedia, other wikis, and any other Websites ending in anything other than “.gov” do not qualify as peer-reviewed.
Your assignment must:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the tile of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.