Please spend a couple of hours browsing through newsweeklies. Some suggest magazines (but not limited to):
- New Yorker
- Utne Reader
- The New Republic
- Daily News-Record
- New York Times
- Washington Post
- New York Review of Books
- Mennonite Weekly Review
Pick an article and write a response, no more than a page long. Some issue you might want to address:
- What do you notice generally?
- Can you detect bias? If so, how?
- How does the author construct his/her article (i.e.: inverted pyramid? Hooks? Etc).
- How do the journalists reinforce or challenge the mission of their particular publication?
- Please do not simply summarize the article and/or give your feelings on the topic! The purpose of these assignments is to look at articles critically and learn from professional journalists