Writing instruction, 6 page:
You will research how Latinos/as are represented in mass and social media and then write a 6 page report. By mass media we mean newspapers, television channels, and news or social/political commentary websites. By social media we mean social apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other equivalent ones.
In your report, describe five (5) cases, with each case representing an individual article/item published through mass or social media, for example, a given newspaper article or an individual Facebook group.
The structure of the report will be as follows:
- Introduction. What cases you will examine? Why did you select these cases?
- The cases. Describe each case addressing the following:
- Source. Identify the case and its source. E.g., article published in the Corvallis Gazette-Times titled “….”.
- Content. Summarize the content of the item. That is, what is it about?
- Depiction of Latinos/as. Describe how Latinos/as are depicted. Specify and describe the labels used to represent Latinos/as.
- Discussion. Present your own point of view about the way in which Latinos/as are depicted in the piece. What do you think about it? Elaborate.
- Conclusion. Write a paragraph or two with concluding remarks. In this section you will make an effort to identify the key lessons from the cases you examined and draw commonalities and differences between them.
The report should be between 6 and 8 pages long and must include in-text citations and a complete and appropriately formatted list of references on a separate page. You can use any citation and reference style, just make sure your citations and references are complete and properly formatted, and that you make consistent use of your chosen style throughout the paper. I encourage you to enter the names of the sources into a reference management software such as Zotero (Links to an external site.), Mendeley (Links to an external site.) or EndNote (Links to an external site.). In that way, your list of references will be clean and well organized.
For help with your research and writing, you may make use of the resources available to you through OSU’s Online Writing Suite (Links to an external site.), NetTutor (Links to an external site.), or OSU’s Undergraduate Research and Writing Studio (Links to an external site.).
Submit the report as a Word document (.doc or .docx) with the following settings:
- line spacing of 1.5
- 1” margins all around
- 12-point Times New Roman font (or similar)
- page numbers and proper headings