: In class, we discussed the different types of Rhetoric (deliberative, forensic, epideictic). For this activity, you will need to refer to class notes from unit 5: Rhetoric.
(1) Define each type of rhetoric and provide an example for each (preferably not an example given in class)
Instructions: In class, we also discussed five cannons of rhetoric (invention, arrangement, style, memory, delivery). You will need to know each cannon to complete this next part.
(2) Please watch this video: https://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together. Answer each of these questions with complete sentences.
- What were the major arguments offered by the speaker? What other arguments were missing that would have made their speech better?
- How was the speech organized?
- What sort of style was used during the speech? What sort of words were chosen? What stylistic choices do you think were made?
- How was the speech delivered (i.e., from memory, from notes, extemporaneously)?
- What sort of delivery techniques (i.e., gestures, eye contact, vocal inflections, etc.) did you notice during the speech?
(3) Now it is your turn. You are tasked with giving a motivational speech in COMM 104, use the 5 cannons of rhetoric to design a speech. Make sure to be clear in your choices for each.