In this assignment, you will read and respond to the following case study in a 3-4 page paper. The requirements for the paper can be found below.
Mike O’Brien is a new regional sales manager for a U.S.-based construction equipment company with responsibilities for the Asian and Eastern European markets. Thanks to a multimillion-dollar loan from the World Bank, one of the less-developed nations in Africa is able to shop for equipment to improve the country’s road system. Mike’s company is one of several around the world invited to submit a proposal. Mike is responsible for coordinating the development of the proposal, which is to include a long-term parts-and-service contract.
In his first meeting with the government minister responsible for the purchase, Mike was made aware that if his company won the contract, it would be expected to pay the minister $100,000 in U.S. currency as well as provide a 10 percent commission on future parts-and-service revenues. Mike’s firm is bound by the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and has a policy forbidding accepting or offering bribes. But he knows plenty of contractors still do this sort of practice in order to win the project.
Mike’s experience before this current assignment entailed calling on contractors in the U.S. and coordinating military purchases in Europe. He has no experience with the present situation he faces but he knows that getting this contract would be a major deal, both for the company and for his personal commission income.
- In your paper, address sales ethics at work here. Is it ever okay to take bribes or grease payments? What are the requirements under foreign law?
- What options does Mike have to ensure his company will be awarded the contract? How would you, if you were Mike, handle this situation?
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- 3-4 pages in length, not including the cover page and reference page.
- Cite a minimum of three sources, two of which should be academic peer-reviewed, scholarly sources to support your responses—in addition to your textbook. The CSU-Global library is a great place to find these resources.
- Make sure you properly cite and reference your sources according to theCSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.
- Your paper must be clearly and well written using excellent grammar and style techniques. Be concise. Be logical. You are being graded in part on the quality of your writing.
Refer to the Critical Thinking Rubric in the Module 5 Folder for more information on expectations for this assignment.