Imagine that you are the CEO of a successful domestic company. In the last 6 months, many potential clients in foreign countries have expressed a desire to conduct business with you. You know that in order for your company to grow, you will have to expand overseas. You have recently attended a local three (3)-day international trade exposition and have gathered many brochures on the foreign companies interested in doing business with your company.
After meeting with the Executive Committee of your successful domestic company, you decide that you will need to identify a minimum of two (2) countries for expansion and two (2) expatriates whom you will send into the chosen countries. The selected expatriates will learn about the countries’ cultures and business activities there. You must prepare a report for the potential employees who may want to take an overseas assignment, the Executive Committee, and the Board of Directors.
Use the Internet and Strayer Library to research possible countries for expansion. Next, conduct research on leveraging expatriates over country nationals for business overseas. Finally, research books that could help expatriates in their transition to working overseas.
Note: You may create and / or assume all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write an eight (8) page paper in which you:
- Create a guide to leveraging expatriates. The guide should include four to six (4-6) sources that address benefits and challenges of sending expatriates to other countries.
- Examine the major benefits that this report can provide for the organization, and suggest two (2) uses for the information contained therein. Justify your response.
- Analyze the major factors (e.g., distance, cultural background, knowledge of the related countries, languages spoken, relatives who may live in another country, etc.) that would influence your choice of countries into which your company would expand. Recommend two (2) countries for expansion. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Determine three (3) criteria that you would consider when deciding which employees to send abroad. Justify your response.
- Propose the major methods and / or incentives you would use in order to encourage the selected employees to become expatriates. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Recommend one (1) strategy to ensure that both the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors are committed to the expansions. Justify your response.
- Recommend two (2) books that the selected expatriates should take with them when they go overseas. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Outline a guide for expatriates who will reside within another country for one to two (1-2) years. The related guide should cover the following topics: selecting items to pack, accommodating a vehicle (i.e., leave behind or send overseas), shipping or selling furniture, moving pets, and arranging accommodations for children and / or family residing in another country for the discussed length of time.
- Develop a framework for your presentation. The framework should include the following:
- Relevant visuals
- Statistics that support the decision to expand into the identified countries
- A feasibility study of your company’s proposed expansion to the countries in question
- Information related to renting or buying land or a building
- Any other information relevant to the case for expansion
- Use at least four (4) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.