Teamwork can serve as a source of empowerment for individuals, influencing their motivation and productivity, as well as encouraging communication and building trust. This process has a lasting impact on the way people contribute to accomplishing common organizational goals. In this assignment we will look into strategies for building, developing and leading effective teams.
What You’ll Need
- Computer and internet access
- MS Word with Power Point or Apple Keynote software
- Adobe Acrobat or Quicktime software
Review this week’s Read and View information. Then, view the following links which will provide examples for each stage within Tuckman’s model of group development and provide your thoughts on the questions below.
Stage 1: Forming
Tryouts for USA team
Stage 2: Storming
Members of Great Teams Manage Through Ego and Conflict
Stage 3: Norming
Miracle – The Name of the Front More Important than the Name on the Back
Stage 4: Performing
“Miracle” Christmas Scene
Stage 5: Adjourning
Create either a written MS Word document or a Keynote presentation with audio narration. Include the following in your project:
- When building his team, coach Brooks says, “I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right ones.” As a leader, what do you think is the difference between choosing the best fit for a team or task versus choosing the right fit for a team or task.
- When attempting to get the team members to work as a team, coach Brooks said to them: “You think you can win on talent alone? Gentlemen, you don’t have enough talent to win on talent alone!” Explain what you believe is the meaning behind this statement.
- As a leader, what is the role coach Brooks plays in helping the team navigate through Tuckman’s stages of group development?
- What are the benefits of working as a team (list a minimum of two)?
- What are some challenges of working in teams (list a minimum of two)?
- What creates dysfunction? What makes a team dysfunctional?
- As a leader what are some strategies you would implement (name at least two) to improve a dysfunctional work environment or group dynamics?
- Have you ever experienced a moment of groupthink? If so, describe your experience.
- How can Groupthink encourage or hold back creativity in the workplace?
- How can Groupthink help to build effective teams in the workplace?
- Describe how you would use each of the Tuckman stages of group development to lead, build and develop your team.
- Save and name your file “First name_Last name_Leadership_P3”
- If you have chosen to create a written MS Word document, export it as a PDF. If you have chosen to create a Keynote presentation with audio narration, export it as a QuickTime file.
- Upload your file to LAO and submit.