Important! Read First
Emerging technology has shaped consumer behavior, especially within the past decade. Consumers in all generations and age groups rely on digital and social media to help them make purchase decisions. Consumer behavior is also directly affected by technology because the purchase decision is simpler and more convenient than in the past. Marketers are analyzing how the latest technological advances have caused shifts in consumer behavior. Marketers are also using this information to maximize opportunities to reach consumers who meet certain criteria.
From cell phones to tablets, information is accessible from virtually anywhere. Some companies participate in “information exchange” based on consumer searches that are captured by cookies on their computers. When consumers use these technological means to access information, their searches are stored and then sold to the highest bidder in this exchange. As discussed in the textbook, this behavioral information is then used to target customers while they peruse online.
Choose one of the following two assignments to complete this week. Do not do both assignments. Identify your assignment choice in the title of your submission.
Option 1: In a well-written, 2- to 3-page paper demonstrating CSU-Global standards, discuss your findings on the methods used by companies to track online consumer behavior. Make sure to address the following questions, ensuring your analysis pertains to issues concerning marketing ethics:
- What are the implications for those companies that bid for the chance to have exclusive advertising featured on their webpage? Is this practice based on the information exchange or some other type of consumer behavior?
- Will these companies have issues involving customer privacy? Why or why not?
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- 2-3 pages in length, not including title and reference pages
- Formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.
- Include at least 3 outside sources. The CSU-Global Library is a good place to find these sources.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This paper must be written formally and can not include any personal experiences, this paper must be written in third person.