1. In what ways does Wharton’s writing resemble that of Henry James?
2. Why are the couple travelling, and why do they feel the need to try to stop?
3. Why is Lydia so adamant about not marrying Ralph? Do you accept her reasoning? Why or why not?
4. What harm could result to Lydia and Ralph from gossip?
5. Who are Lord Trevanna and Mrs. Cope, and why is their situation important?
6. Why does Lydia hesitate at the end of the story? How do you explain Gannett’s reaction to the decision she finally makes?