Theories of Leadership and Team Building
Making decisions that are best for the team is an important aspect of leadership. Some decisions will be accepted positively by the team and others will not. For this Assignment, you will analyze a situation that needs a decision using the Normative Decision Model in the course reading to identify the optimal decision making style by matching decision making style to situational factors. The idea is not to develop a solution to the problem, but to analyze the best style to make the decision.
The decision making styles are detailed in the text and include:
- Consult (individually)
- Consult (group)
To complete this week’s Assignment, review the decision making styles, contingency factors, and application of the model in the text. After reviewing the textbook reading, choose a work situation that needs a decision (can be a situation at your workplace, a current event, or hypothetical).
Complete the analysis by answering the following questions on choosing a decision making style (use the contingency factors and application of the model in the text reading).
- Briefly explain the situation and what decision needs to be made.
- What are the contingency factors that need to be applied to the situation?
- Which contingency factors were more challenging to answer and why?
- How could answers to the contingency factors be found?
- How do team dynamics influence the decision making process?
- How can leadership style preferences influence the process?
- What is the group’s final recommended decision making style from the model?
- How would the group implement the decision making style recommended by the model?
- How would the decision making style chosen effect team building?
- What can a leader do to mitigate any negative effects of the final decision on the team?
Answers to the questions should be in sentence/paragraph format. Copy and paste the questions into a Word document and place your answers below each question. The paper should be two to four pages, not including title and reference pages. The paper should be typed, double-spaced, and follow APA style guidelines. It should be written in Standard American English with well-organized and original thoughts supported by the text material, and the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Students should incorporate the text material using proper APA in-text citations and references.
Course textbook: Dubrin, A. J. (2015). Leadership: Research findings, practice and skills. (8th ed.). Boston: