Please use the above link for PART 2 of this discussion question.
Assignment 1: Discussion—Value of Money
Business decisions are based on the time value of money. Bonds, stocks, loans, and other business investments are valued by determining the present value of an expected cash flow, which is also called discounting the cash flow. The time value of money finds considerable application in the decision-making processes of a business.
In this assignment, you will apply the basic principles of the time value of money to business decisions.
You are the chief financial officer of a firm. The firm has an expected liability (cash outflow) of $2 million in ten years at a discount rate of 5%.
- Calculate the amount the firm would need on the present date as savings to cover the expected liability.
- Calculate the amount the firm would need to set aside at the end of each year for the next ten years to cover the expected liability.
Using the Argosy University online library resources, identify an article that demonstrates the application of time value of money principles to a business decision.
- Explain the specific business decision that management made after computing this value. Analyze how management used the concept of the time value of money principles to make this decision.
- Analyze factors other than the time value of money that management considered or should have considered in reaching the business decision.
- By Week 3, Day 3, post your responses in a minimum of 500 words to this Discussion Area. Support your assumptions with reputable source material.
- Through Week 3, Day 7, read and respond to at least two other classmates’ posts. While responding, consider the implications for the firms selected in applying the concept of the time value of money, such as present value (PV) and future value (FV). What would happen if the firms do not apply the concepts of the time value of money to their finances?
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Initial response was:
- Insightful, original, accurate, and timely.
- Substantive and demonstrated advanced understanding of concepts.
- Compiled/synthesized theories and concepts drawn from a variety of sources to support statements and conclusions.
Discussion Response and Participation:
- Responded to a minimum of two peers in a timely manner.
- Offered points of view supported by research.
- Asked challenging questions that promoted discussion.
- Drew relationships between one or more points in the discussion.
- Wrote in a clear, concise, formal, and organized manner.
- Responses were error free.
- Information from sources, where applicable, was paraphrased appropriately and accurately cited.