The United Nations has hired you to be a consultant on global issues. One of the challenges is assessing the impact of population growth. There is no question that the world population will grow dramatically in the next decade throughout many countries of the world. The members of the UN are working to understand the impact that population growth has on society, specifically in developing countries. Your first project with the UN is to develop a whitepaper on three issues related to the population growth faced by one of these countries. Read the Case Study and provide an assessment based on the questions below
The world’s population is expanding at such a rate that some natural resources are being stripped from the environment. This case study deals with how global institutions are working to prevent the loss of these resources. It also deals with, in effect, the consequences of not having access to these resources.
As the first section of your whitepaper for the UN, research the impact of population growth on society. Write a minimum of four pages assessing the impact, citing at least five credible sources in your research. As you compose the whitepaper, review the United Nations list of developing countries (available on the United Nations website). Select one country from the UN developing countries list to use as an example throughout your assessment. Please include:
- A cover page with your name, title of course, date, and the name of your instructor
- A one-half page introduction
- A middle section that is numbered and divided into three one-page sections. Each of these sections should answer one of the following questions:
- What are greenhouse gases? How do they contribute to global warming?
- What kinds of economic, security, political, and other challenges do these emissions pose to the people of the developing world, and who are the biggest offenders?
- Is there any way to control the growth of population on a global level?
- A one-half page conclusion
- Cite at least five credible sources, excluding Wikipedia, dictionaries and encyclopedias for your assessment.
- For a brief list of resources for this assignment, please see the end of the course guide.
This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. (Note: You will be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.)
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate the impacts of population growth and its negative impacts on global societies while considering multiple perspectives.