Income Statements and Balance Sheets
- What can we learn from an income statement?
- What are some differences between an income statement and balance sheet?
- What can we learn from a balance sheet?
- Please be sure to properly reference your answer.
Select a company to analyze. Find the company’s income statement on Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/). Using Excel calculate the (1) gross profit margin ratio, (2) operating profit margin ratio and (3) the net profit margin ratio.
- What can you learn about the company using these 3 metrics?
Please attach your spreadsheet with your response.
The following article (Peterson, 2015) discusses the cost to open a franchise. Take a look at the article and let me know what you think (not about the quality of food but the business side of opening a franchised restaurant).
- Which of the skills that we have talked about in this class would be important to know/use if opening a store?
- Which franchise would your select to open (from a financial perspective not a food perspective)?
Peterson, Hayley (May 22, 2015). Here’s how much it costs to open a Papa John’s restaurant. Retrieved from http://businessinsider.com.
this article (Nudelman and Loudenback, 2016) showed upon on my Facebook. It presents how much money you need to save each year to be a millionaire by the age of 65. I thought it did a great job of emphasizing the power of the time value of money which we talked about in Week 4.
It assumes that you do not start with any money, does not consider taxes and a 12% return.
- What are your Thoughts? Issues?