Many people believe the resume and traditional job applications are not as important as what you share and communicate online through blogs and social media. In Week 2 class, we watched Jason Shem from Etsy’s TED Talk – where he spoke about highlighting his abilities. He researched the company, and went through Etsy’s IPO (Initial Public Offering) document to raise investment funds. He read the IPO document from cover to cover, and then created a website with four (4) ideas. When he went in for an interview, he discovered the company was actively working on two (2) of these ideas. As a result, he was uniquely-positioned to share his thoughts, experience and advice.
- Watch Jason Shem’s TED Talk / video – Highlight Your Ability Not Your Experience. – https://www.ted.com/talks/jason_shen_looking_for_a_job_highlight_your_ability_not_your_experience
- What do you think about Jason Shem’s approach – is it original or old hat? Why / Why not?
- As you prepare for a new role / company, what will you do to research the job and company?
- How will you use social media to gather information and insight (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Which sources other than social media will you use? What do you hope to obtain – that will help you secure this job?
- How are you going to stand out from the crowd and out and get visibility in your job search.
- Provide examples of your own success – CAR stories, images, website, portfolio, articles, links, etc.