With the use of chapter 9 of Operations Management by: Heizer and Render
Gas Station Layout Strategies
Layout is one of the key decisions that determine the long- run efficiency of operations. Layout has strategic implication because it establishes an organization’s competitive priorities in regard to capacity, processes, flexibility, and cost, as well as quality of work life, customer contact, and image. An effective layout can help an organization achieve a strategy that sup-ports differentiation, low cost, or response.
- Review the current interior layout at your local top gas station, similar to 7-eleven
- Create a drawing of the existing layout
- Using the concepts presented in chapter 9 of Operations Management by: Heizer and Render
- Identify the type of layout in use.
- Calculate existing flow, costs, takt time, requirements, etc.
- Analyze the data collected
- Identify improvements to the layout and create a drawing of the new layout.
- End your assignment with a narrative where you describe the existing layout and explain how you can improve the existing layout in order to gain efficiencies. Be sure to describe and/or define the efficiencies identified. Ensure your response is based on the material presented in chapter 9 of the textbook Operations Management by: Heizer and Render ISBN# 9780132920629