The War to End War
1. How did the United States help the AAllies win the First World War?
2. What was significant about Wilson’s Fourteen Points?
3.Discuss the Senate’s rejection of the Treaty of Versailles. Ultimately , where did responsibility lie, with Wilson or the Senate?
4. Why were there large scale violations of civil liberties during World War I?
Industry Comes of Age 1865-1900
1. Evaluate the growth of the transcontinental railroad after the American Civil War.
2. Identify at least three Captain’s of Industry and the contributions they made to their industry.
3. Discuss the concept of Social Darwinism and “survival of the fittest.”
4. What caused the Knights of Labor to decline?
The Politics of Boom and Bust
1.to what extent were the policies of the 1920s a rejection of progressivism?
2. What was the effect of isolationism and the peace movement on American politics between the two world wars?
3. What drove the growth of the American economy in the 1920s?
4. What were the causes of the stock market crash and the Great Depression?
The Great Depression and the New Deal
1. What were the immediate challenges facing Franklin Delano Roosevelt in early 1933?
2. Who were some key individuals that opposed FDR ‘s approach to reform ?
3. What was significant about the First and Second New Deal?
4. What were some of the causes and consequences of the 1930s “dust bowl”
American Life in the Roaring Twenties:
1. What were the origins of the Red Scare?
2. How would you characterize the 1920’s from an economic and social perspective?
3. What was significant about the Monkey Trial?
4. What was modernism, and how did it influence American culture?