Your department has been tasked with reviewing historical incidents of smallpox, including academic assessments of its use as a biological agent for terrorism. Use the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s smallpox Web site as a guide to available resources and current planning (CDC Smallpox Information). With these tools, develop a communication plan that addresses the following:
- Address the following in 4–5 pages:
- Provide an overview of the threat (disease characteristics).
- How can mass hysteria be prevented within the population?
- What should the federal government share with the state, and can this information be controlled?
- What should the federal government share with the city, and how can this information be controlled?
- What should the federal government share with the nation?
- When should information be disseminated to each recipient (state, city, and nation)?
- What should be the characteristics of this information’s release to the public (consider medium, frequency, and timeliness)?