The DSM identifies many specific psychological disorders. While research has found that in general, no one type of therapy is substantially better than others, different treatments may be more appropriate for specific disorders. In this project, you are asked to choose a psychological disorder that is of interest to you. You will describe the disorder in detail, indicate what is known about its causes and progression, and identify a treatment or treatments that would be most appropriate.
As you complete this project, think about the following:
- What do we know about psychological disorders and their treatment?
- What does research tell us about the most effective treatment for disorders?
At the end of this activity, you will:
- Submit your course project dealing with psychological disorders and their treatment.
At the end of this module you will be required to submit a course project on psychological disorders and their treatment. You will be asked to choose one of the following:
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
After choosing the one disorder on which to focus, make sure to:
- Describe key features of the disorder, including its symptoms
- Address the biopsychosocial explanations that could account for the development of that disorder
After choosing a disorder, read the associated module in the textbook and choose an appropriate therapy or therapies for that disorder from the following choices:
- Humanistic Therapy
- Behavioral Therapy (you may choose combined Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy)
- Cognitive Therapy (you may choose combined Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy)
- Drug Therapies
When applying your chosen therapy or therapies (i.e. an eclectic approach), make sure to:
- Discuss and explain the specific methods of that therapy that would be utilized in the treatment of your chosen disorder.
- Provide a rationale for the effectiveness of your type of treatment (i.e. present evidence that supports the effectiveness of that therapy for your chosen disorder.
From the information presented in the Psychology webtext and from your research in the library or onthe Web (i.e. make sure to incorporate what psychological research and studies have shown that would support your points raised in the paper), present your position and support it with credible sources of information using APA style citations and references. You are required to use at least three (3) references, to include the course webtext; the other references should come from psychological journal articles or from relevant psychologyspecific websites. Before submitting your paper, use the CourseProject page in chapter 5 of the webtext to check your paper against the rubric.
You are expected to present a minimum 750 word response. The paper should be submitted in a WORD document in 12 point; Times New Roman font. Given this guideline, your paper should be 3 – 4 pages in length; excluding the title page, abstract, and reference page. Refer to the APA Style guidelines document for information on the title page, abstract, and reference page.